This class is part of the Open-Educational Resources initiative developed by Lehman College, City University of New York, and maintained by Assistant Professor Sharon Jordan on the CUNY Academic Commons. Lehman College students enrolled in the course for credit will access their course materials on this website, the contents of which are freely accessible to anyone. Students will find additional materials on the class Blackboard site, which requires enrollment in the course.
This section of Introduction to the History of Modern Art is a hybrid course, meeting for an hour and twenty minutes in the classroom and with these weekly assignments outside of the classroom providing another hour and twenty minutes minimum of engagement with the course material. In class, we will use these written assignments as the basis for in-class discussion and group work to review and verify everyone’s understanding of the content.
It is advised that you read over all of the instructions and assignment materials before beginning your study of the weekly content so that you have an overview of the various tasks and assignments required and can gauge how much time it will take to complete everything for the week.
Course Outline for Weekly Materials and Assignments:
- Week 1
- Assignment week 1 / January 31 for next class: Course Introduction and Overview
- Week 2
- Assignment week 2 / February 7: Introduction to Modern Art and Impressionism
- Week 3
- Assignment week 3 / February 14: La Belle Epoque: Symbolism & Post-Impressionism
- Week 4
- Assignment week 4 / February 21: Finish La Belle Epoque: Symbolism & Post-Impressionism
- Week 5
- Assignment week 5 / February 28: Fauvism and German Expressionism; and do Met Museum Assignment #1 (due next class)
- Week 6
- Assignment week 6 / March 7: preparation and review for midterm exam
- Week 7
- Assignment week 7 / March 14: Cubism
- Week 8
- Assignment week 8 / March 21: Futurism and Orphic Cubism
- Week 9
- Assignment week 9 / March 28 (for next class after Spring Break on April 18): Russian Constructivism & De Stijl and do Met Museum Assignment #2 (due next class)
- Week 10
- Assignment week 10 / April 18: Dada
- Week 11
- Assignment week 11 / April 25: Surrealism
- Week 12
- Assignment week 12 / May 2: Abstract Expressionism
- Week 13
- Assignment week 13 / May 9: Pop Art and Minimalism; and do Met Museum Assignment #3 (due next class)
- Week 14
- Assignment week 14 / May 16: preparation and review for final exam
- Week 15 / May 23: Final Exam
We will do many readings and videos from http://www.smarthistory.org, which is part of the Khan Academy academic website. We will also utilize content from the website’s of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (www.metmuseum.org) and the Museum of Modern Art (www.moma.org). Bookmark and explore these sites for use throughout the semester.
Consult the class syllabus for Lehman College’s ARH141 on the class Blackboard site in the Content folder. Bookmark the Blackboard class site.