This class is part of the Open-Educational Resources initiative developed by Lehman College, City University of New York, and maintained by Assistant Professor Sharon Jordan on the CUNY Academic Commons. Lehman College students enrolled in the course for credit will access their course materials on this website, the contents of which are freely accessible to anyone. Students will find additional materials on the class Blackboard site, which requires enrollment in the course.
This section of Introduction to the History of Modern Art is a hybrid course, meeting for an hour and twenty minutes in the classroom and with weekly assignments outside of the classroom providing another hour and twenty minutes minimum of engagement with the course material.
Students in this hybrid course must be self-sufficient with the awareness that course content will not be communicated through lectures and material will not always be reviewed in class. For this reason, writing plays an essential role in demonstrating awareness and understanding of the course material.
Each week, students will read essays and/or watch videos and take notes about different modern art styles and complete a written assignment that will summarize, synthesize and/or analyze this material. In class, we will use these written assignments as the basis for in-class discussion and group work to review and verify everyone’s understanding of the content.
The main objectives of this course are to learn about modern art and art history and to use our study of modern art as a means of developing skills in critical analysis and improving written and verbal communication skills.
Each week, students will access the weekly instructions and materials containing the web links and assignment information from below. It is advised that you read over all of the instruction and assignment pages before beginning your study of the content so that you have an overview of the various tasks and assignments required and can gauge how much time it will take to complete everything for the week.
We will do many readings and videos from http://www.smarthistory.org, which is part of the Khan Academy academic website. We will also utilize content from the website’s of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (www.metmuseum.org) and the Museum of Modern Art (www.moma.org). Bookmark and explore these sites for use throughout the semester.
Consult the class syllabus here for Lehman College’s ARH141 H01and on the class Blackboard site in the Content folder.
Here are your weekly assignments:
- Week 1
- Assignment week 1 / August 30: Course Introduction and Overview of Modern Art
- Week 2
- Assignment week 2 / September 6: Introduction to Modern Art and Impressionism
- Week 3
- Assignment week 3 / September 13: Post-Impressionism
- Week 4
- Assignment week 4 / September 27: La Belle Epoque: Symbolism & Art Nouveau
- Week 5
- Assignment week 5 / October 4: Fauvism and German Expressionism; Met Museum Assignment #1 Due
- Week 6
- Assignment week 6 / October 11: midterm exam preparation
- Week 7
- Midterm Exam / Assignment week 7 / October 18: Cubism
- Week 8
- Assignment week 8 / October 25: Futurism and Orphic Cubism
- Week 9
- Assignment week 9 / November 1: Dada
- Week 10
- Assignment week 10 / November 8: Constructivism & De Stijl)
- Week 11
- Assignment week 11 / November 15: Surrealism
- Week 12
- Assignment week 12 / November 22: Abstract Expressionism
- Week 13
- Assignment week 13 / November 29: Pop Art and Minimalism
- Week 14
- Assignment week 14 / December 6: final exam preparation; Met Museum Paper Assignment #2 Due
- Week 15 / December 20: Final Exam